Spectrum Asia, headquartered in Tokyo, is the leading independent gaming consultancy serving all of Asia. We provide comprehensive gaming-related services to governments (national and local) and private-sector clients, including:
Spectrum Asia has provided these services throughout the Asia Pacific region, including in the following jurisdictions:
- Hong Kong
- Northern Mariana Islands
- South Korea
The Spectrum Asia team includes the following experts:
Spectrum Asia has completed numerous projects throughout Asia, ranging from the complex and highly sensitive due diligence investigations for the Singapore government to feasibility studies in Japan. The following engagements are representative of our work in the region:
- Spectrum was retained by the Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs to conduct due diligence investigations of all applicants for the proposed Marina Bay and Sentosa integrated resorts. The Government of Singapore determined to establish a gaming industry that offered the highest global standards of integrity and effective regulation. Spectrum has played an instrumental role in helping Singapore meet that goal, having since 2005 been retained by the Government of Singapore to assist in gaming, regulatory and law enforcement issues related to legalization of casino gaming and the opening of the two integrated resorts. The Singapore engagements have been especially complex, as Spectrum was initiating major polices that had not been proven in that part of the world. The trust placed in Spectrum by the Singapore government has been extraordinary.
- In 2018, Spectrum was awarded a three-year contract by the Casino Regulatory Authority of Singapore to conduct due diligence investigations of casino operators and their associates.
- Between 2010 and 2014, Spectrum was engaged by the Casino Regulatory Authority of Singapore to conduct due diligence investigations of all applicants who applied for a junket promoter license. These investigations were complex and multi-faceted. In our experience, these were the most difficult investigations that we have ever undertaken in our governmental and private-sector careers. A second RFP to conduct junket operator due diligence investigations was issued by Singapore in September 2012 and the CRA once again selected Spectrum for this important engagement.
- Spectrum was retained in 2013-2014 to essentially produce an update of Spectrum’s 2008 report Global Junket Practices and their Relevance to Gaming in Singapore regarding the junket enterprise industry in the Asian casino marketplace. In that regard, Spectrum made several updated recommendations, including anti-money-laundering compliance issues, to effectively control this aspect of the gaming business in Singapore.
- The Government of Laos retained Spectrum to develop a strategic plan for the regulation of casino gaming and to address anti-money-laundering issues,
- Spectrum was engaged by a major Japanese company to provide detailed quantitative and qualitative analysis of designated international gaming-resort operators for the purpose selecting a potential development partner in anticipation of that country legalizing integrated gaming resorts. We followed up by undertaking a comprehensive econmic impact study of the proposed integrated resort.
- International developers have retained Spectrum to undertake market analyses, feasibility studies and risk assessments throughout Southeast Asia, including in Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, the Philippines and Vietnam. Our research and analysis included assessing the critical issue of junket operations and VIP play, determining the optimal size of the gaming floor, developing pro forma income statements, and evaluating the tourism markets.
- Spectrum performed a detailed analysis for a potential casino development in a resort area of South Korea. This comprehensive study included suggested strategies for the national government to ensure that such a project would boost tourism, while adhering to other public policies – including minimizing problem gambling and other social concerns.
- Spectrum was retained to perform a comprehensive feasibility study for a private investor in the Philippines for the development of a multi-use gaming venue in Manila. Inclusive in the study was a detailed overview of the current political, regulatory structure as it pertains to gaming in the Philippines.
- Spectrum was engaged by Bloomberry Casino Resorts to provide preopening design and development services along with casino deployment services for a new 500-room casino resort in Manila. We sized the resort, set up the operation and delivered to the owner a turnkey 17,000-square-meter casino operation with over 1,200 slot machines and nearly 300 table games.
- A casino in Central Asia retained Spectrum to perform a risk assessment and reasonableness review of its AML program and to provide best practices policies and procedures for AML controls.
- Spectrum has been retained as an expert witness in several proceedings in Asia.
- In 2008, Spectrum was retained by the Hong Kong Jockey Club to provide an assessment of the VIP gaming market in Macau and its impact on the Club’s betting revenues. Spectrum subsequently gave testimony in regards to its findings to the Hong Kong Betting and Lotteries Commission.